The Best Time of Year to Schedule A Maintenance Check
Technicians perform maintenance checks on HVAC equipment throughout the year. However, the best time to schedule annual furnace maintenance is in the fall. Fall is typically a slower season for heating and cooling companies. This leaves more time available to schedule appointments. Additionally, thoroughly inspecting your system, before you need it most, will ensure peak performance and efficiency, even in the coldest temperatures.
Even if you can’t schedule a service in the fall, it’s important to get your system checked out each year because it still provides you with the benefits.
Inspecting Your Furnace
What do our technicians check for during a maintenance visit? At Viviano Heating & Air Conditioning, we complete a comprehensive review of your system. There’s a checklist of items that we inspect, test, and clean. With each maintenance visit, we:
- Check and inspect the heat exchanger
- Clean and adjust burner assembly
- Clean ignition assembly
- Monitor flue draft
- Test safety controls
- Clean or replace standard air filters
- Adjust thermostat calibration
- And more…
Our technicians will also check the ventilation of your system to ensure your family is safe from carbon monoxide.
Proactive Tips for Maintaining Your Furnace
Along with scheduling your annual maintenance visit, it’s important to inspect your unit periodically. As a homeowner, you do not have to be an HVAC expert to take care of your furnace. In fact, learning the best practices for inspecting and maintaining your unit on your own can help you avoid costly repairs and sustain your home’s comfort.
Extend the life of your home’s furnace by:
- Cleaning or replacing your filter regularly
- Utilizing sunlight, when possible, to help heat your home
- Upgrading your thermostat to a newer, programmable model
- Keep the surrounding space clean and de-cluttered
- Address needed repairs immediately
When To Call a Professional
Don’t get caught in the middle of winter without a working furnace! In addition to annual furnace maintenance, you should be proactive when it comes to repairs. Call your local HVAC company if you notice or experience the following issues:
- Significant increases in your heating bill compared to previous years
- Changes in pilot light colors or flame consistency (flickering or yellowish flames)
- Loud or strange noises (squeaking, banging, rattling, hissing, popping, etc.)
- The boiler or furnace won’t stay on
- Cold spots throughout your home
- The smell of something burning or rotten eggs (If you smell rotten eggs at home, it can be a sign of a gas leak, and you should leave your home immediately and call 911.)
- Water pooling near or leaking from your furnace
Schedule Your Annual Furnace Maintenance with Viviano
For over 30 years, we have provided heating and maintenance services for all types of heating systems throughout the Metro-East. Whether you have a furnace, boiler, heat pump, or ductless heater, our expert technicians have you covered. In addition, we offer a maintenance membership program that helps our clients save money on repairs, receive priority service, and easily schedule their annual maintenance appointments. Call or contact us online today to learn how you can get started.